Disclosure: This is a compensated partnership with Hole in Wall. As always, all opinions are our own.
Like many travelers, we love finding the locals’ favorite hole-in-the-wall locations when traveling. Finding these hidden gems gives an inside glimpse into what it might feel like to live in each destination we visit.
When Hole in Wall approached us about trying their first gift box, which just happened to be from San Diego businesses, I was thrilled to check it out. Being a San Diego local for almost ten years, I still feel like I’m constantly learning about the little things that make my home special.
Hole in Wall is a travel subscription box that features unique goodies from mom and pop shops, delicacies from local farmers markets, and of course, gourmet treats from hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Every month, they feature a new city and they hope you will feel like a local from that city when you receive a box at your doorstep.
What We Love About Hole in Wall Box
We get numerous requests to review subscription box services and this is the first one we have said yes to. We decided to write this review and run a giveaway for a few main reasons:
1. We love that Hole in Wall is supporting local businesses in each location they feature.
2. The items in each box are actually useful! I personally don’t feel the need to pay a subscription to something that is just going to clutter my house with knick knacks. The items in the San Diego box I received are all edible, with the exception of a small scented soy candle and an Oats + Honey facial soap bar.
3. The subscriptions are flexible. You can choose just 1 box or packages of 3 or 6 boxes (boxes are sent bi-monthly).
How Each Box is Sourced
When we asked Hole in Wall how they source each item in their boxes, here’s what they said:
“We usually start at farmers markets in each city and meet the local businesses there. We then research blogs, magazines, and newspapers to find potential items and to experience the items for ourselves. Finally, we collaborate with the locals and find the best hole-in-the-wall stores and mom and pop shops to experience the local culture ourselves. We only pick items that best represent the spirit of that city.”
Getting a surprise box of treats from a new city each month is something we could get used to. Not to mention, it’s a fun gift idea for friends and family. The prices are reasonable at $30-$35 per box. (Prices vary depending on which package you choose.)
In December’s box, with San Diego local favorites, here’s what we received:
- Oats + Honey Facial Soap Bar (a blend of oats & pure honey)
- 72% Cocoa Dark Chocolate (Peruvian chocolate)
- Sinsa Korean BBQ Beef Jerky (SO good!)
- Arrogant Bastard Ale Chipotle Hot Sauce by Stone Brewing Company
- MJ’s Market High-Protein Bar (made with organic ingredients)
- Lime + Salt Almonds
- S.D. Scented Soy Candle (smells like a day at the beach!)
- Caramel Kettle Korn (made with American-grown mushroom corn — so addicting!)
San Diego is known for its huge micro-brewery scene, so I’m happy to see Stone Brewery represented with a bottle of chipotle hot sauce. We are big fans of their beer, but this is the first time we’ve tasted their hot sauce and now we are hooked!
Since San Diego is one of healthiest cities in the United States, they included a high-protein, organic snack bar made with all organic ingredients. San Diego is a melting pot, so the Korean BBQ Beef Jerky, Lime + Salt Almonds, and Peruvian chocolate represents the diverse cultures and delicious international cuisine you can find here. I appreciate that a lot of thought went into creating this box and I think it does a great job of representing the spirit of San Diego.
The San Diego box mentioned above can be ordered until December 20th, 2015. After that date, you can order the next box with items sourced from Seattle!
Enter to Win a Hole in Wall Box!!
We’ve teamed up with Hole in Wall to offer a chance to win 1 Hole in Wall box with all of the San Diego favorites mentioned above! Here’s how to enter:
- REQUIRED: Make sure you are following both @HoleInWallBox and @OrdinaryTraveler on Instagram.
- For extra entries: Tweet about the contest and/or Pin the following image on Pinterest.
- Make sure to use the Rafflecopter entry form below so we can track your entries!!
** Prize can be shipped anywhere in the USA. Must be 18 or older to enter.